This weekend I had the most amazing trip of my life exploring Costa Rica and forging bonds with friends around the world that will last a lifetime. I find it hard to describe the trip, it was such an amazing experience that feels so sacred to me. One thing is for sure, I really bonded with the group of people I was with, so much so that I actually ended up crying when we parted. I had no idea when I would see all of my dear friends again! One things for sure, we're definitely making plans to travel solo together in the future!
For Some reason I kind of have a hard time talking about the weekend, almost like it's sacred to me. That's why it took so long to get this post up I guess (sorry!). So here's my story through pictures:
Traditional Costa Rican Dancing
Typical food of the Guanacaste Region
Our group in our lovely mini bus that we spent quite a bit of time in!
I got to feed this Iguana my apple core... He swallowed it whole!
Pretty View on our Hike
My New Zealand Friend Jade and I before going 200meters down into the cave!
She's scared of heights... What a trooper!
Me in the cave
The view of the opening from the bottom
A group hanging out in the cave.
Hiking in the rain makes your nikes muddy!
My friends in the ocean. We spent HOURS riding the waves. It was great.
Every tourist has to write PURA VIDA in the sand!
My new best friends from Germany, Wisconsin, New Zealand, and California
My Icelandic friend and I went out to find the most touristy shirts we could find! Then we got Pizza and Ice cream~ YUM.
Hungary, Me, Japan, New Zealand, Austria(?), Iceland, California, New Zealand, Wisconsin
I think it's hard for me to talk about because on this trip I realized that in 57 days I'll be leaving this beautiful country, my family, and my wonderful friends. 57 days! That's insane! I have no idea when I'll be able to see any of my lovely friends again, friends who have really grown to become my AFS family. It's really reminded me that I have to keep seizing the day here in Costa Rica, and continue traveling, exploring, and learning as much as I can.
Now that I'm back at home, things are looking up. I'm heading off to climb Mount Chirripo on Wednesday, which is sure to be an amazing journey. Also, things have finally cooled down a lot were I live, thanks to the rainy season starting! Every day between noon and five (sometimes longer!) It'll start POURING rain! This isn't any old Arizona "storm", this rain isn't something to mess with! I'm beginning to learn why they have so many heavy duty drainage systems around town. The rain cools everything down, but when it doesn't rain it can get SO HOT. We're talking 85 degrees F with 93% humidity. It feels like you're swimming in your own sweat, it's so gross. To me, the rain is beautiful. Everyone here just sort of ignores it because it's a part of their every day life but I am fascinated by it. That's one of the reasons I love traveling, because you get to see all of the beauty locals are used to through new eyes.
I'd say that wearing my uniform has gotten easier with the cooler weather, but I haven't been to school in over a week. Why? Teachers all over Costa Rica have gone on strike, demanding better pay. So no class for me! I actually kind of miss class, I get so bored sometimes. But, at least I'll be well rested for Chirripo! You can look forward to my future post about the Costa Rican school system. It's very different from our US school system that we're used to. Until then, Pura Vida.



















