The Moments That Make an Exchange

3/7/15


Often times when I look back on a trip it'll be the biggest moments that stick out to me; cliff jumping, ziplining, summiting a mountain, the list goes on. But when I think about all the moments that changed me they tend to be smaller moments. Those are the moments that make your exchange what it is. It's the feeling of being completely comfortable with your host family for the first time, or taking a walk around the farm, or getting a passing grade in physics (which is much harder in Spanish).




There are certain words in Spanish that I can remember the exact moment that I learned them. Some of them are tied to comical stories, like the time I accidentally said "tengo mierda" instead of "tengo mieda," informing my host mother that I had sh*t rather than the intended message that I was afraid. Other times it would just be me wanting to express something to a friend and searching for the words on google translate. After a terrible storm that I got caught in on the way to my friends house, I learn how to say that I was very wet. Mojada. But the best moments were when I'd use a word I didn't even realize I had learned. I can remember the first time I used the slang, "tengo sueño," literally meaning "I have dreams," but translating to "I am tired." After a particularly hot and horrible night where the power went out and I sat in my room being scared of the dark and wishing my fan would work, I was sat in school yawning and uttering "tengo sueño," not even sure I had learned the phrase before, but sure it was the right thing to say. Those are the moments that make an exchange.



My friends at school really took me under their wings. I was clueless, and I couldn't even hold a conversation with them! But over time I would learn as we cooked in the kitchen and they would help me cut vegetables correctly, or when we'd sit in the soda area and practice our English and Spanish on one another. They'd always fight to be my partner in English, and in return they'd always guide me on what papers to buy and where to get the best ice cream. When I could finally hold a conversation with them it would always fill me with happiness to hear them laugh, and then sigh and say "Ay, Emma." Those are the moments that make and exchange. 



When my two host brothers and host sister took me to my very first soccer game I was amazed. The entire stadium stood on their feet singing and cheering, and I was completely wowed when they managed to do the wave around the whole stadium more than twenty times in a row. Before the game started the president of Costa Rica gave a speech, and then a famous band came out and gave us a mini concert, complete with hundreds of dancers dressed in traditional outfits on the field. There were moments when all of the ticos in the stadium would burst into the national soccer song after our team had scored a goal. Yet with all of those grand moments my favorite memory came from before the game when my host brother turned to me and said, "Emma, you are a tica just like us." Those are the moments that make and exchange.

Everyone in school watching la Copa Mundial
Again I was shown how important soccer was when the World Cup came around. An infectious excitement hung in the air. At school, hundreds of students would crowd around a tiny television at the soda bar and watch the games. When we went up to San Jose to have an orientation another game was on with Costa Rica playing, and of course we tuned in with the rest of the country. It was the farthest Costa Rica had ever gone in the World Cup, and when they won the city exploded. At first, when we turned off the television all was normal. Then we began to hear cheering outside. Then horns. Then drums. When we wondered outside we were met by a wall of people celebrating. The ticos were so filled with joy at this win that they had formed their own impromptu parade complete with drums and car horns. I was so proud to be wearing my Costa Rican jersey with the thousands of people who poured onto the streets. It was a scene of joy an pride that is hard to put into words. 


Those are the moments that make an exchange.