Dreaded Bartering

Bartering is something that every traveler has to learn to do. Whether you're buying a beach dress in a market in Mexico, a kitschy Eiffel tower statue in Paris, or a sturdy leather bag in Morocco you're going to have to haggle to by it at a somewhat reasonable price. For many people, bartering (or haggling or bargaining or whatever you wish to call it) is a way of life. For me, it's agony. 


Luckily, today I bought some knock off Ray Bans on the streets of Barcelona and managed to haggle the price all the way down from 20 euros to 5 euros! So I decided to give you all some tips on haggling haggling since I am obviously a master: 

1. Get really nervous

2. Give up immediately

3. Try to walk away in a cloud of shame and suffering until the salesperson gives you an offer you can't refuse!


These tips will work every time! Happy shopping!

...Ok, so obviously I haven't really gotten over my fear of arguing over prices yet. I think this is yet another trait I get from my mom. In our recent trip to Morocco we did the usual wonder and window shop through the twisty maze-like Medina, but we bought pretty much everything from a shop owner our friends knew well. Just as we were wrapping up all of our goodies, I pulled my mom to the side,

"So, uh, mom... Do you think we should, like, try and barter the price down?" 

After making a quick game plan in which my mom did all the talking and I stood by feeling uncomfortable, my mom approached our new friend,

"Abed, how much will this all cost?" she asked for about the fiftieth time. 

"Low prices! Good prices!" He assured us for the fifty-first time, still not giving us a straight answer,

"Are you going to give us Jacob Prices?" she asked, referring to our friend who had already done plenty of shopping here. 

the shop keeper laughed, finally realizing that this was our attempt at bartering. He seemed proud that us two dorks had finally gotten the guts to do it, "Of course! You get Jacob Prices!"

I consider that one a win.