11/24/13
I was told by my AFS adviser that once they sent my application to Costa Rica it'd be 6-8 weeks before we might hear back from them. After that, I was told I may not know about my host family until a week before I depart!
Turns out it only took 8 hours. For Costa Rica's side to accept me, I mean. And then about a week later I got a facebook message from another AFS student saying a family in her town was considering hosting me. A few days later, it became official! After talking to my adviser I learned that this kind of speed is unprecedented. Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe Costa Rica just really wants me! It feels good after working and waiting so long for this.
2 months and 15(ish) days until I leave.
I'm excited beyond belief. I'm also sort of scared. But I'm ready.
Anyways, here's what I know about my host family; I've got a seven year old brother and a twelve year old sister! The town I'll be living in is literally in the middle of the frackin jungle, and pineapple farms border between the town and the mountainous jungles. It's small compared to where I live, and about an hour away from the beach. It's beautiful.
Back in Arizona, things are cooling down, and I'm still working. Last weekend I worked twenty hours at the Iron Man merchandise store and all the money I made is going to--you guessed it-- Costa Rica! In addition I've also been getting a lot of lens cap orders. Yay!
Keep posted! The adventure's just about to begin!